When microservices were gradually adopted and the communications happened using APIs, the implementation of API gateway at the edge made sense. Using API gateway, developers and platform team could create, publish and maintain REST APIs, HTTP and Websocket APIs.
API gateway alone was good until there were services in one cluster or same datacenter boundary. But as startups gradually grew or enterprises modernize their applications, their back-end services is deployed in hybrid infrastructure-
- Multicloud (AWS/GCP),
- Multiple Kubernetes clusters (US east/ US west)
- Multiple services (EC2/Lambda/Fargate)
- on-prem VMs
And API gateway will not be sufficient in such scenarios.
Instead of extending an API gateway, DevOps and platform team, and architects must consider Istio service mesh.
Join the webinar to learn:
- Limitations of API gateway in current scenarios of network and security
- Why service mesh is the way for app modernization
- Various implementation scenarios with API gateway and Istio service mesh